Friday, February 19, 2010

Back from Outer Space...

Well I haven't posted anything in quite a while because I have been in and out of town. And when I've been in town, my good friend from Oregon was here visiting with her 2 children, ages 3 and 7!! We did the whole Disney trip, etc. It was fun, but exhausting. My son was so excited about everything, and her kids were so excited, it kicked the week into hyper-drive! So I am exhausted now and haven't quite recovered. But slowly I am coming around.

It was fun to have company out. I did a good amount of cooking while they were here, which was fun for my friend. She said she hadn't had real food since we moved to Florida. She's a very pragmatic woman, who does foster parenting for a living, so dinner has to be VERY streamline and efficient. Not to put her down...But I have had rice and canned vegetables for dinner at her house. So, when she comes to see me, she wants the prime rib roast and ALL the sides. Which, I was happy to do for her. I know my family appreciates my cooking, but it's really nice to have company to cook for. Company gives you all kinds of nice comments, which sometimes get lost when you cook for the same people everyday.

We ate out the first night she arrived because their plane didn't get in until 10:00 pm. So cooking was kind of out. But, the second night, I cooked marinated steaks, steamed king crab legs, garlic-parmesan mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, crisp buttered mushrooms, sauteed green beans, and roasted corn on the cob. I love corn on the cob, but I find it hard to get the butter taste when you rub a little pad of butter over it. So my solution I came up with is steaming the corn and then lightly frying it in a pan full of salted butter. Very, very good! And everyone knows how much I love butter. I do the same thing with the green beans.

I have to buy everything down here in Swampland USA. I SO prefer Oregon, where it's possible to grow your own fruits and vegetables. I want to have a small-ish house with some nice land so I can plant my own food garden. I recently read that the term is "Grocery Gardening." It seems an appropriate term. I would grow all the things I currently have to buy...Except for meat of course. Although, I would love to have my own chickens, cows, etc. But for now, I will aim for grocery gardening.

I have been experimenting with eggless cake recipes because one of my two followers has an allergy. I think I have come up with a very decent recipe which I am going to try one more time before posting. So for today, I will post my marinade recipe. I thought it was exceptional...Far better than any of those store bought packets. Glad to be back blogging. It's fun.


Steak or Chicken Marinade


1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup aged red wine vinegar
1/4 cup GOOD soy sauce
3 tbs. dijon mustard
3 tbs. sea salt
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tbs. black pepper (fresh, please.)
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Seal in plastic bag with meat and refrigerate for at least an hour.

More later...

3 comments:

  1. Hi there...funny you should say that. My co-authors and I wrote a book this year called "Grocery Gardening". :) We don't grow everything, though...we like to support our local farmers/growers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea too. It's much easier to do that in Oregon or Washington because the selection is so much nicer than it is here. More Farmer's Markets, etc. Florida is good for citrus, but not much else. At least that is my opinion. I would be interested to read your book. Is it out in stores?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I just had a momentary lapse in consciousness, and I looked at your blog and realized that I DID see your book in the store last week, which is where I got the term!! How fun that you should comment on my blog!

    It's always been my dream to open a bakery of my own that uses only locally grown fruits, dairy, eggs, etc. I'll have to keep it as a dream for now.

    ReplyDelete